Artwork

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gallery Visit

This week for my professional practices class I went to David Lusk Gallery to see Anne Siems and Wayne Edge’s work. When I first walked up there was a wonderful sculpture outside the front door of a split tree that was varnished and shiny with a tree like branching sculpture coming out of the top. On these little branches were mother of pearl on the inside of opened shells like blooms. These sculpture works were Wayne Edges. I was excited to see the rest of these sculptures as I walked in. They were all really nice works and utilized lots of recycled pieces of broken glass, ceramic, and rock. The main form of the sculptures were made from bent pieces of wood. Some stained different colors of wood tones and other painted bright green or blue. The pieces were very cohesive and my eye flowed all around the art. They were very pleasing in my eyes.
On the other hand and in the other half of the gallery were a series of creepy weird doll like paintings. These were Anne Siems works. I just was kind of baffled. These are the kind of painting I see in galleries and I am like, “Hey, I could do that!” Not that I would want to make creepy doll weirdness paintings, but if I wanted to. I think these paintings were acrylic. When I looked close the detail work on the paintings were so so and a little sloppy. The cartoonish aspects of these paintings didn't appeal to me. They had a weird 1800’s Victorian meets Haunted Mansion way about them. Everything about these were weird. Weird, weird, weird. This was some creepy work.

No comments:

Post a Comment