Artwork

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tracy Lauritzen Wright

This past week we had Tracy Lauritzen Wright come and speak with our class about her work with the National Civil Rights Museum. She is currently is Director of Administration & Special Projects at the Civil Rights Museum. She has a Masters of Museum Studies which has helped her attain the job that she has, as well as museum cataloging experience. She says that she was lucky she was able to find the job and get the job, but really she had all of her ducks in a row to get this job so it wasn't just luck. If she had not have found this job she definitely had the skills to find a very similar job elsewhere. It was important to me to see someone whose job wasn't really a complete windfall and that she actually worked very hard for what she wanted in a career.
It was also helpful to learn about museum work as an option for a Bachelor of Fine Arts graduate. As a former employee of the Children's Museum of Memphis I have always been aware of Museum work as an option. It is actually something that I could picture myself having a career in. Museums are great no matter what kind they are, beause there are so many options for employment in different areas and there are always opportunities to keep learning.
So again it was nice to get a view of someone who is not an artist, but is working in a very art related field. It kind of shows me that when I graduate I do not necessarily have to go with making art as a career option. My possibilities are unlimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment