Artwork

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mira Schor

On Failure and Anonymity was a slur of babble about why being an artist today isn't a source of wealth but a fleeting practice that will leave you broken and soulless. Reading this article made me just think this person didn't get the whole story. When I graduate with my BFA I have no intention of being a “professional wealthy artist” and I think the people who think that they will make enough money off their art for a living are extremely mistaken, and haven't really made much considerations for what the real world has in store. This first article just seemed uninformed and a way to break down someone who would be thinking of attending an art school. For the students who are on the path to just selling their art as a living I do think there could be more done in the schools programs to teach them basic life skills such as taxes, applying for grants, pricing of the work and so forth and so on, but I have never been mislead in any of my time in art school to think that being an artist alone and working on your art in your studio would ever be a source of wealth or fame.
Authority and Learning starts off with her proclaiming that she is not just a woman artist, but a feminist artist, and it all goes down hill from there. Claiming that all teaching is sexually charged, and that all the male teachers sleep with the female students, because the students are power hungry and look to their male professors to feed them with sex for good grades and good crits. I think this woman is in some fantasy land. I think most of her experience comes from her art education in the 1970’s and really isn't very relevant now.

No comments:

Post a Comment