Artwork

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Greely Myatt at David Lusk


Last Friday night I went to The David Lusk Gallery to see Greely Myatt’s show. It was an interesting adventure to say the least. I have mainly shied away from going to galleries, and am sad to say I have never been to this gallery before. On first glance I noticed how small the venue was, I guess in my head I always imagined David Lusk to be this huge bright space and it was completely opposite. It was dark and windy, I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to venture into the back area, but I saw some others go back there and decided to join the fun.
In the first room of the exhibit were two wall pieces made of steel and wax, they mainly mirror each others reflections from either side of the room. In the middle was a giant curing sculpture that almost reached the ceiling. It was made of old broom, mop, and rake handles. It distracted me from what was going on around me. I ventured further in and twisted around the bar and was greeted by a confusing mass of what may have been a giant metal beam shoved into a styrofoam base directed at a wall of sheet metal. This piece was over my head in so many ways. Even farther back through the show I was happy to find two large scale prints. I really enjoyed one of them, it was a beautiful composition that had a quilt feel. There were also some nice wall sculptures and a huge book like steel sculpture as well. There was an overwhelming theme of blank comics. Since I have never been to David Lusk before I didnt know if it was uncommon for their not to be titles on the walls near the work. I really would have enjoyed knowing the media that some of the work was created with. It was confusing, but interesting to see sculpture meshed with two-dimensional imagery so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment