Artwork

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rough Draft Artist Statement

Lena Kirk
Professional Practices
Artist Statement Rough Draft

When I work with clay and relief printmaking I am making work for myself to help confront the issues I have with my own body. I am working with the internal struggle that my body has placed on me after having my gallbladder removed. I am consistently sick from having this diseased part of me taken away. I am working with expressing these hidden internal pains on the outside of my body with use of bondage to express my internal struggle externally. I begin a piece by sketching out what I want it to look like and what the meaning of the piece will be. I employ meticulous cutting to my relief images and thick chunky slab building to my ceramics. Getting my hands aggressively into the piece I battle through my illness. I know a piece is done when I feel like it can stand alone and the viewer can feel the emotions I am putting forth. When people see my work I would like them to appreciate the technique as well as the piece for its emotional and physical presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment