Artwork

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Metals in Progress



After taking my first Metals class in Fall of 2009 and butchering my hands to pieces and breathing in metal dust till my lungs were most likely the sparkliest thing from here to West Memphis. I kinda in my head vowed never again...but here I am Fall of 2011 taking my second metals class. This time I am working my hardest to save my hands from tiny saw wounds and file scabs...although my nails are a lost cause even two weeks in.

The first week we were taught how to make hollow forms and were assigned to make rings. After searching through my brain and remembering the processes I had these guys down. For the first metals work I have done in two years I was pretty proud of these little guys.

( They have since been filed down and cleaned up some more..hints the in progress.)








Week 2 we are learning to do settings. These are some sweet stones in some even sweeter settings...I am still getting used to sawing in a pretty straight line. I will be making a couple more of these guys to get more in tune with these metals. It is very weird having these little metal contraptions that don't need solder....but still use fire. FIRE!..




I am still pretty worried about burning off all my hair.


1 comment:

  1. Your tab settings look really nice. I used to be worried about burning my hair all the time so I started putting it up in a big hat so at least that would go up in flames first. I think I need to start doing that again because I actually caught my bangs on fire last Thursday.

    ReplyDelete