Artwork

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Statement of Intent: Rust Gallery

Recently, I have been working on a body of work that deals with struggles that I have had with a recent and on going illness. My work is based in Printmaking as well as Ceramic Sculpture. These pieces are all part of a larger picture that would be connected and displayed throughout the Rust Gallery at Memphis College of Art.
I am currently a senior with a concentration in sculpture. My main sculpture pieces are ceramics, but I also work with soft sculpting as well. I use my sculpture to convey emotions that people can grasp because these pieces have a physical bodily presence. I also work in Printmaking which allows me to communicate my image on a tighter scale. To me these relief prints are as much sculpture as a print. Displaying all of my pieces in this gallery will give to viewer a chance to comprehend that.
I would use the space to my advantage and select larger pieces to fill the space. I would do installations throughout the space to get the viewer physically involved in my pieces. I want them to be looked at close and even for the ceramic pieces to be touched. I want the viewer to feel the weight of these pieces when they are all displayed alongside each other. Some of the imagery may be disturbing but it will be set up in an innocent way to provoke whimsy when looking at painful images of illness and the binding guidelines I have to keep this illness in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment